Each day is a little life.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Got a letter this week from a company telling me I had unclaimed money they could help me claim. But I wasn't too keen on paying a fee plus commission, so I looked it up myself, and sure enough, I left money in a checking account that I had in college.
I always thought I'd go back, but I never did.

So to get my money back, I need my driver's license, social security number, and proof of my address & mailing address from 20 years ago.

So after dinner, I looked in our shoebox of checkbooks to see if I had any that old. There weren't any from my college address, though, but there was a check register from when I was in high school! It lists, in the fake-neat writing I adopted in high school, payments for an SAT prep class and my cap & gown, among other things.

I remember being proud of myself for opening a checking account. The "bank" was a savings & loan in a trailer that changed names and owners dozens of times over the years. I still have the account, mainly for sentimental reasons. It's with Wells Fargo now. I wonder who will buy them.

So after that fun little jaunt down memory lane, I had not found what I needed. The next place I looked was not so fun.

The artifacts wouldn't look like much on the surface: one report card from junior high, one from high school, a couple from college, and lots of bills from college that listed courses I took, dorms I lived in, etc. There were also my letters of acceptance (pending an Algebra II course), letter of acceptance once I had taken the course, my AP test scores, LSAT scores and a letter of interest from UT Law School after I'd taken the LSAT.

But then there were the painful things: the letter of concern from A&M about my grades, add/ drop forms, degree counseling information, and a letter telling me how to reapply for admission after my academic probation. Everything that happened AFTER.

I found what I needed, but I was devastated. I told David the next morning, it was not worth the amount of money I'll get back. My emotional health is more valuable than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx