Each day is a little life.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005


My dear friend Patti lost her battle with cancer on Monday, the same day Rosa Parks died. These were both women I looked up to, both inspirational. We were colleagues; we met nine years ago when I started teaching at Hurst. She taught English also. We became close after a student dilemma my first year. We went together to hear Maya Angelou at TCU. She came to my wedding and my baby shower, made Carmen a hand-painted fabric book of Bible verses, hosted the first game of Bunko I played as a teacher, and got me involved in the American Association of University Women. When she was diagnosed with cancer almost four years ago, the doctors gave her 3 months to live, but she showed them! She retired in the spring so she could travel frequently to MD Anderson for treatment; the school where she worked held a lovely party. We all went to the funeral home last night since I couldn't make it to the funeral today. I am going to miss her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx