Each day is a little life.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

As Homer would say, "Mmmm, donuts!"

One night recently Gabriel asked, "Can we have donuts sometime? We haven't had them in a long time!" This was true for two reasons. First, David's diabetes prohibits breakfasts like that. Second, there wasn't a donut shop near us (within a 15-mile radius) that made donuts worth the trip, the money, or the calories.

But Woo Hoo! I found a Shipley's! I've been missing their "Plain Sugar" donuts that are anything but plain. . . when warm, they melt in your mouth like no other.
You can get this variety at Krispy Kreme, but they're not quite as good.
Anyway there used to be a Shipley's about a mile from work and I used to buy dozens of this variety because if you only buy a few, they give you what's in the case. But if you buy more than they have in the case, they give you HOT ones.

But a couple of years ago, while I was still doing yearbook, I went there one morning and they were closed. I have mourned the loss ever since.
As I lamented Shipley's closing to my friend Charis, she told me that she thought there was a Shipley's near her neighborhood. So recently I Googled Shipley's (on MAPS) and found that location. But when I tried to call, I found it was out of business, too.
So the next closest Shipley's was about 20 miles away. When I called and found it was still open, I told the owner we'd be there soon.

We didn't get there until close to 11, however, so that ended up being brunch!

So as not to waste the trip, we went by David's office to fax plans for P-Lo's birthday and tried to go to turn in our old camera to be repaired. The kids enjoyed the time at his office, playing with the spinning chairs and talking to the summer intern.


3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Donuts are a special treat for us too, and I LOVE the donuts at Smokey Bones. It's a chain BBQ place, but they have donuts on their dessert menu that are TO DIE FOR!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger See-Dub said...

I saw a Shipley's in Temple the other day and thought of you! (It's at the Adams Avenue/Central exit where all the fast food places and Starbucks are.)

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Chrys and Mike said...

now i want a dozen donuts.

chrys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx