Each day is a little life.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth



If you love this planet,
if you love your children,
you have to see this movie.

Watch the trailer here.

David & I just got around to seeing it. We got it at the library on DVD, so you probably can, too.



We have to change, we have to. And our family is taking on that challenge.

A few weeks ago, during all of the rain, Carmen asked me, "Why is God doing this to us?" (This was also around the time Paloma said, "It's raining at us!") A few days later, I heard her version of my answer as she explained why it was raining to all of her cousins on the 4th of July: Because humans aren't taking good care of the earth, the weather is changing all over the earth.



Even if you aren't a Democrat, I promise, you can learn from & appreciate this film.

Ever since the 2000 election, Al Gore has given this talk with this slide show to as many audiences as possible. The part that made my Mom seem interested was the story about how Gore's father, although a senator, was also always a tobacco farmer--he used this as an illustration of understanding the need for change--but he finally quit farming tobacco when Gore's sister died of lung cancer.


I was already pretty green; for years it's been my goal to recycle more than we put in the trash, for instance. But David was especially convicted after seeing the film. Within a couple of weeks, he had replaced every light bulb in our house.


However, when a guy came around door to door and convinced me to have my hail damage fixed from the April 13 storm, the car I got from Enterprise was not very earth friendly, but it was the only one that could hold 3 car seats in the back. I couldn't believe how much I spent on gas the two weeks I had it! The kids liked it, but I missed my car. Unfortunately, it smelled like cigarette smoke when I got it back!




But even worse than that was the news I got when I picked up the car. The really personable guy who convinced me to have the damage fixed had been killed in a motorcycle accident that morning. I walked around in shock that day. He was my age. His name was Buck.

How fragile life is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx