Each day is a little life.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007



These are all my former students. I saw them at Gabe's graduation. They're expecting baby girls this summer. I found this out when I asked the one in black, what are you doing next year? And she said, "I'm going to be a stay-at-home mom!"

Which reminds me, I haven't written here about the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

I talk about it with students any chance I get (when it comes up in the news, in literature, etc.), but usually it comes up on the National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy which happens each May.

I really wish living in the Bible belt didn't mean failing to tell kids the truth. Now that it's been proven that abstinence-only programs don't work, I hope there will be better information available.

David & I went to a class in the fall entitled Shaping Your Child's Sexual Character. I admit, I was taken aback when I first saw a flier for the class at a PTA meeting. The school counselors from three elementary schools got together to offer this class. However, of a possible 2000+ parents (figuring 2 parents for 700 students at each school) that this was offered to, the turnout consisted of about 30-40 parents. That's unfortunate, because the guest speaker, Mary Flo Ridley, was really good. It got us talking and thinking about how to address this topic with our kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx