Each day is a little life.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Name the Baby?

OK, friends & family, here's your chance to give me your ideas.

Here are some of my criteria:

*Has to go with our last name
*Has to fit in here: Carmen, Gabriel, Paloma & ____
(So far, all 3 names work in English and Spanish, but since we have a Spanish surname, I'll consider French or other)
* Would be good if the origin or name meant something or there was a namesake (Carmen named for an aria in the opera that I walked down the aisle to when we got married. Gabriel named for the Angel or David's sister Gabi-Gabriella--though he denies this. Paloma was named for Picasso's painting, the dove carrying flowers--the bird of peace and also his daughter's name. But I might like a literary or color name this time, for example.)
*Cannot be too popular (nothing in the top 50! I don't want her to be one of 10 Emilys in her kindergarten class)
* Cannot be a cousin's name or close friend's child's name
* I prefer something that is not too hard to pronounce or spell correctly
* I prefer girls' names to not be feminine versions of male names (Henrietta, for example)
* We've talked about not using the first letters we've already used, but that isn't a final decision
* If the name has a nickname, we have to like the nickname, because our family tends to shorten everything (Carmen doesn't get shortened much, but I sometimes call her Carm-alarmin. Gabriel gets "Gabe" all the time. Paloma made up her nickname "Moma" and students started calling her P-Lo.)

Names we almost used before: Carmen would've been Elijah. This baby would have been Esteban (if up to me--technically it's David's "turn"). Carmen really wanted us to name Paloma "Ella" (but it was too popular for us).

I also liked Soraya (except the sound is close to psoriasis) and Siobhan (Irish name, pronounced Sha-VON) and Xochitl (Mayan, pronounced something like Satchie) and Soledad (which is beautiful but means solitude--too ironic for a youngest sibling!). But those are pretty out-there, I know.

To find what is popular, you can go here

or the blog by the person who made the wizard,

and here's a list of the top 25 names (we won't be using).

8 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I kindly request you not go with "Xochitl"
People will NEVER be able to say or spell it.
And here are my suggestions (I stayed with only French or Spanish, otherwise I would have other suggestions):
Noel (This was almost Maya's middle name)
Bella
Brea
Adra (Audra)
Bijou
Colette
Charlize
Cilla
Belen
Matisse
Mirabella
Tia
Tierra

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Chrys and Mike said...

Beatriz
Esme
Esperanza
Lourdes
Valentina

Esperanza is my favorite. I will keep thinking...

Chrys

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Chrys and Mike said...

P.S. Amy's comment made me giggle. But I have to agree, I would not know how to pronounce Xochitl unless it had the pronunciation ("so sheel") on the bag of our favorite tortilla chips. :)

http://www.salsaxochitl.com/pages/products/totopos.html

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like aubrey and chella. it is kinda like ella but sorta different and kinda musical. we are reaching there. abby says tanya? don't know where that came from. daniel votes for bella olivia m*** so her initials can be BOM for "the bom". lance likes emeline. will have to get back with steve's suggestions. miss ya'll stacy

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Petra or peanut in spanish. Cacahuete. It was my first spanish word I learned from Dy. Another is Bonita Ella. Beautiful Girl. Just had to make sure I got input in. Steve ps. mom says she has a friend who used Estee and another was Aizlynn. mom forgot our password.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I'm afraid I am not going to be any help in the name department. It's such a personal choice that I always found it hard to take suggestions. Plus, I'm in the top 50 with my kids, so.....I do agree that being too common (like Madison) is not a good idea. I hadn't thought about it much before I had her. Addison may have been a better choice (but not now with Grey's Anatomy). Abigail and Jillian were also the #2 names for each of my girls.

I do agree with Amy about Xochitl....and also think of tortilla chips. Mirabella is one of my favs (plus you could nick name her Ella).

Good luck! :)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Mariposa
Brianna

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are a few suggestions.

From Hidy: Brianna

From Mason: Eva, Diva, Erva, Addison

Gigi said:

From me:

Alise, Elise

Elisa

Alicea

Alissa

Bridget

Brietta

Etta

Ella

Elsa

Camille

Cariss

Carita

Celeste

Crystal, Kristel, Chrystal

Colette

Larissa

Leah

Libby

Louisa, Luisa

Lucia

Melina, Malina

Melody

Mirabel

Nola

Tessa (Greek-fourth child)

Yvette

Love,

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

sx